Every season a new “superfood” arrives on the market with a lot of hurrah on the health benefits. It’s not a newly discovered superfood but foods have been around for centuries, only science is just getting around to proving the benefits of common and uncommon fruits and vegetables from around the world. All fresh fruits and vegetables have some if not numerous health benefits. Fresh fruits and vegetables nourish, replenish, and heal our body in the best possible way. Each week I’ll be presenting a new “superfood” from common grocery store staples.
Packs the most antioxidants out of any fruit or vegetable. The high amount of antioxidants work to protect the body against aging, disease and age related memory loss. Think of antioxidants as warriors who protect and destroy any harmful radicals in the body. These same warriors reduce the risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease.
Manganese- Mineral is essential in developing and maintaing good bone health
Vitamin C- Vitamin to build immune function, protein metabolism, and collagen production. Works to protect against colds, prevent wrinkles, promote wound healing, and provide a boost of energy.
1 Cup of Blueberries = 80 Calories
Ideas to include blueberries in your diet:
1) Pop them raw for breakfast, as a snack, or as part of a meal.
2) Blueberry Almond Super Antioxidant Drink- 1 cup of Almond milk, 1/2 cup blueberries, and 1 tsp flax seed oil
3) Homemade Blueberry Yogurt Cup
4) Blueberry & Almond Parfait Cups
5) Blueberry Oatmeal — Try adding in some banana, silvered almonds, and a little spice like cinnamon. One of all of these in your oatmeal adds flavor and a healthy boost to your morning meal.
6) Fresh blueberry muffin or oatmeal cookies