The mighty almond that could. Almonds are a high nutrient superfood packed with protein, 12 different vitamins & minerals, and fiber. Bet you didn’t know the last one. The 4 grams of fiber per ounce of almonds helps keep bellies feel fuller for longer.
Why are almonds my nutty superfood? It contains (per oz):
- Only 129 calories per oz or approx 23 almonds
- 4 grams of fiber
- 6 grams of Protein
Almonds are an excellent source of vitamin E, magnesium and manganese, and a good source of calcium, copper, phosphorous and riboflavin. Additionally they are a low GI (glycemic index) food.
- Promoting: healthy bones, blood sugar, cholesterol, and energy levels.
- Vitamins & minerals help to promote a glowing complexion and healthy hair
Availability of Almonds:
- Raw – Alone or in a nutty mix. Available as plain, roasted, salted, seasoned, slivered, blanched, & baked
- Almond butter — Pure unsweetened, unsalted almond butter. This stuff is quite addictive!
- Almond Milk — As a substitute for milk in oatmeal, smoothies, milkshakes, baking, or to drink. Bottoms up.
My favorite way to eat almonds are plain roasted. I also have many variations of almond butter at home, I spread it on toast and enjoy for breakfast with a smoothie or tea quite often.
Check it out below, be sure to follow me on instagram at Shot of Green for my favorite eats and healthy ideas.